After Anna Review!

After Anna - Alex Lake

Thank you to Edelweiss and HarperCollins for providing an ebook copy of After Anna By: Alex Lake in exchange for an honest review!

Well here I am with another book that fits my mystery/thriller mood.  I'm not sure why all of a sudden I've been really in the mood for this genre, especially since I usually prefer them when it's cold outside. Regardless, here goes another one and it was a good one!

I enjoyed After Anna quite a bit. It's another thriller with the missing child trope that I like. That trope is magnificently done in this book. The suspense is killer while Anna is missing and even after Anna is returned there is still plenty of suspense!

One thing that the author did really well in this book is make you feel for the main character,  Julia.  I really felt for her throughout the novel and not just a little bit either. Poor Julia. Her child went missing, she's the one who was supposed to pick Anna up from school on time, and she has to deal with a lot of jerks. I was just as LIVID as Julia (at two characters in particular) while reading the book. Really the writing in this book is just on point!

So here's the big question. Did I guess the twist? That's always the question when it comes to books like After Anna, right? Well guess what, I didn't guess the twist! I love when I'm taken completely by surprise, even if I feel like I SHOULD have known. The whole ending is delightfully disturbing and perfect.

Overall After Anna is a mystery/thriller that is worth the read! The only negative thing I could possibly say about the book is I think the tagline, "The real nightmare starts when her daughter is returned..." is a bit misleading. I was thinking something would be WRONG with the daughter when she came back and that is not the case. Other than that, this was a perfect book to help satisfy my mystery/thriller mood.

I recommend After Anna for fans of Remember Mia, S is for Stranger, and (of course) Gone Girl.